Delicious and with a big protein punch, this vegetarian quinoa bake is going to get scooped up so quickly!
But over here, we’re really used to a lot of protein so when I do make a meatless dinner, I try to make sure it’s really hearty and satisfying in the protein department. I love this recipe because it’s gluten-free and high in that needed protein because of the quinoa. I get asked all of the time if quinoa is allowed on the keto diet, and while it isn’t because it’s higher in carbohydrates, it’s still a really delicious way to fill you up.
One of the tricks to satisfying this protein need is to include at least two protein sources per meal. That’s why my Gallo Pinto recipe, a Nicaraguan dish that has beans and rice topped with a fried egg, is one of our go-to vegetarian dishes.
Today’s recipe for Italian Cauliflower and Quinoa Bake is similar. It has both high-protein quinoa and cheese. Combined with the meaty texture of roasted cauliflower, it’s satisfying from the first mouthful.
You’ll wish every day is Meatless Monday with this bake. Cauliflower offers a meaty texture. Quinoa adds protein.
- 30 oz. cauliflower florets
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. basil
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 30 oz. tomato sauce (no sodium, add salt to taste)
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella, divided
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a 13 x 9-inch pan combine cauliflower, olive oil, salt, oregano, basil and black pepper. Toss and roast until cauliflower is lightly browned in spots, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook quinoa according to package directions (will yield about 3 cups cooked). Drain if needed and fluff with a fork. Transfer it to a medium bowl and add the tomato sauce, 4 ounces of the cheese and salt to taste (if desired).
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven and add the quinoa mixture to it. Stir. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted and tomato sauce is bubbly, 15-20 minutes.
Nutrition Fact :
Calories Per Serving: 484
Total Fat 24.6g 17%
Cholesterol 50.6mg 44%
Sodium 1046mg 16%
Total Carbohydrate 47.3g
Sugars 11.4g 47%
Protein 23.3g 11%
Vitamin A 166.5µg 115%
Vitamin C 68.7mg